What is Sodium Hypochlorite?
Remember that pungent smell when mass disinfection of public places occur. That same irritating smell you can relate to in swimming pools, and your eyes itch and redden, and your skin itches, and there is a big board saying “Chlorine in pool”, that’s hypochlorous acid, viz., when sodium hypochlorite breaks down.
Sodium hypochlorite/ Hypo (NaOCl) is an inorganic chlorine based liquid disinfectant, available as aqueous solutions of 5.25% - 6.15% (household bleach) or concentrated 12% NaOCl solutions.
Large quantities are also used as a disinfectant in water and wastewater treatment and sanitary equipment. In food processing, sodium hypochlorite is used to sanitize food preparation equipment, in fruit and vegetable processing, mushroom production, hog, beef and poultry production, and fish processing.
Typical Uses of Hypo:
- 2%: Shock Chlorination of Wells
- 3 – 6%: Household Disinfectant, Laundering Clothes, Dentistry Root Canal Treatment, Dairy Industry, Disinfectant in Hospitals, Food Processing, Mushroom Production, Hog, Beef, and Poultry Productions, Maple Syrup Production, Fish Processing, etc.
- 12 – 16%: Disinfectant in Swimming Pools, Water Treatment, Waste Water Treatment, Pavement Spraying, Mass Disinfection.
So, where does Sodium Hypochlorite go wrong?
There are five types of Chlorine available in the market; Sodium hypochlorite, Lithium hypochlorite, Calcium hypochlorite, Dichlor, and Trichlor. The first three are unstable, unlike the stable last two.
Sodium hypochlorite with water breaks into hypochlorite ions that increase the overall pH of the system, we know pathogens that can survive alkaline atmosphere. Also, the high pH of hypochlorite will attack metals and generates hydrogen gas when in contact with aluminum, it even eats through connecting glue (fumed silica), threaded fittings, etc. Decomposition occurs faster at higher temperatures and concentrations and with metal contamination. General fiberglass tanks are used, at cooled temperatures to prevent hazards of hypo. If hypochlorite is exposed to acid or ammonia, chlorine gas will be released.
If the water hardness is exceedingly high, the high pH hypochlorite precipitates the calcium and magnesium, leading to scaling problem.
Mixing anything with hypochlorite can be extremely dangerous. Contact between hypochlorite and other chemicals such as alum, ferric, or sodium bisulphate, can cause an uncontrolled explosive release of energy, heat, and chlorine gas.
Hypo efficacy becomes limited when it comes in contact with more than 80% organic matter, neutralizing its oxidation effects. Hypo breaks down under sunlight, taking away the residual activity and the contact period.
Human Contact Hazards:
- Sodium Hypochlorite and ammonia mix, forms a dangerous gas potentially leading to choking and breathing difficulty.
- Avoid swallowing and getting sodium hypochlorite in the eyes or on the skin. Produces eye irritation, skin irritation and whitening, inhalation of fumes produce throat, esophageal, and gastric burns.
- Mutagenic and toxic when it comes in contact with ammonium salts, listed under Class 8 Corrosive Substances. Chronic (long-term) exposure to chlorine gas in workers has resulted in respiratory effects, including eye and throat irritation and airflow obstruction.
- Residual chlorine molecules react with this harmless organic material to form a group of chlorinated chemical compounds, THMs (Trihalomethanes): Dibromochloromethane (CHClBr2), Bromoform (CHBr3), Chloroform (CHCl3), and Dichlorobromomethane (CHCl2Br). They are tasteless and odourless, but harmful and potentially toxic.
Alstasan II 256: Our Safe Alternative
Alstasan II 256 is specifically formulated Twin Chain Dialkyl QAC based disinfectant which on application completely eradicates pathogens, inclusive of sporicidal bacteria and enveloped viruses such the coronavirus.
Twin chain QAC 's are surface active agents which interlinks with the cell membrane of pathogens, altering its structure and its water-repelling attribute, because of which it is considered super effectual against lipid-enveloped viruses. The R group present in Quaternary Ammonium Compound’s structure with long double alkyl chains enables prompt neutralization of organic matter’s synthesis in the microbial cell, denaturing their essential cellular enzymes and proteins, and distorting it completely.
Application Areas: Spraying in Infected/ critical areas, high traffic public areas such as metro stations, movie theatres, malls, showrooms, offices, F&B preparation areas, pavements, floors, railway platforms, dip tray for shoes, air fumigating of closed indoor spaces.
- Highly effective virudical chemical with de-odourizer
- Non-tainting nature, safe for use on most MoC (Materials of Construction)
- Easy to dose and apply; dilute at recommended concentration and mopped
- Leaves a refreshing fragrance post usage
- Multiple applications of spraying, mopping, fumigation
Dominance of Alstasan II 256 over Sodium Hypochlorite:
- Twin chain QAC blends are highly effective especially over vegetative bacteria and enveloped viruses like SARS-CoV-2, inhibiting their spread and replication within seconds of application at lower use concentration (USEPA approved formulation)
- QAC’s are considered as good wetting agents and spreads over a wide area with acute piercing ability, at an application dosage 1/10th of Hypo.
- Non-corrosive, non-tainting, compatible with materials
- Ensures prolonged sterilization and does not breakdown owing to sunlight and/or organic matter.
- Leaves fresh minty fragrance, not irritating pungent smell.
- Non-mutagenic blend.
Click here for a Tabular comparison of Sodium Hypochlorite and Alstasan II 256.
Alstasan II 256 is a part of Chemtex’s COVID-19 Bio-Security Package, along with Alcohol based Surface Disinfectant (Alstacol 25+) and Alcohol based Hand Sanitizer (Alstasan Hand Rub), ready in stock, to be ordered and delivered at your doorstep.
The kit contains the formulations which are approved/ recommended by WHO (World Health Organization), CDC (Center of Disease Control), EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) USA to prevent the spread of virus.
- “Preventive Approach to Disinfection – Need of the Hour”
- “A Positive Mindset Changes an Entire Scenario”
- Safety is always Gainful
- Let Second House Be Your First Preference for Dining Out
- “Live the Night” in a BioBubble!
- Your Favorite Udayan Cinema is an Antivirus Zone Now!
- Now Enjoy Movies in a BioBubble at SVF Cinemas!
- This Puja gift yourself Chemtex BioBubble Home Kit
- Introducing Chemtex BioBubble Silane Antimicrobial Coating Service
- Disinfect mobile phone with ALSTACOL 25+