The biggest challenge of a crude distillation overhead system is corrosion, caused by overhead effluents like acid, chlorides, saline solutions, etc. It not only affects metallic structures (read: Carbon Steel) of overhead system but also incurs huge monetary loss, not feasible to tackle at times.
In general, the distillation overhead system is affected with three following types of corrosion.
- General Corrosion: General corrosion in crude distillation overhead system occurs when carbon steel reacts with sulfides and chlorides in presence of water molecules, degrading its rigidity.
- Pitting Corrosion: The presence of HCl is the main reason behind pitting corrosion in alloy steel, used in crude distillation unit installation, especially at high temperature.
- Intergranular Corrosion: This type of corrosion mainly occurs at inner surfaces of metallic structure, damaging the cross-sectional area due to acidic conditions in crude distillation overhead system.
Overhead Line Stripper Corrosion Inhibitor works effectively across the stripper line, forming a protective film over the entire cross-sectional area and preventing oxidation reaction of corrosive agents with metal ions. It neutralizes the presence of COx, Brines, DO, Hydrogen Chloride without interfering with the downstream catalyst or high valued petrochemical products.
Key Features and Benefits
- Film forming adsorptive corrosion inhibition
- Well suited to be used in DHDS, DHDT, NHT units of downstream
- Overall protection to header lines
- Neutralizes acidic gases and fluid, if present
- Effective over a wide range of temperature